Oprah Winfrey is a great believer in the power of hypnosis for weight loss. In fact she has an article titled 10 Ways Hypnosis Can Help You Lose Weight—For Good on her influential Oprah.com website.
Here’s the 10 ways Hypnosis Can Help You Lose Weight – For Good!
- The answer lies within. You don’t really need another crash diet or the latest appetite suppressant. Slimming is about trusting your innate abilities.
- Believing is seeing. People tend to achieve what they think they can achieve.
- Accentuate the positive. Negative, or aversive, suggestions, like “Doughnuts will sicken you,” work for a while, but if you want lasting change, you’ll want to think positive.
- If you imagine it, it will come. Like athletes preparing for competition, visualizing victory readies you for a victorious reality.
- Send food cravings flying. Hypnotherapists routinely harness the power of symbolic imagery, inviting subjects to put food cravings on fluffy white clouds or in hot air balloons and send them up, up, and away.
- Two strategies are better than one. When it comes to losing weight and keeping it off, a winning combination is hypnosis and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which helps revamp counterproductive thoughts and behaviors.
- Modify, modify, modify. The late hypnosis innovator Milton Erickson, MD, emphasized the importance of using existing patterns.
- Like it or not, it’s survival of the fattest. Much as we like to think it’s survival of the fittest, we’re still programmed, in case of famine, for survival of the fattest.
- Practice makes perfect. One Pilates class does not produce washboard abs, and one hypnosis session cannot shape up your diet.
- Congrats—it’s a relapse. Hypnosis views a relapse as an opportunity, not a travesty.